Last summer during my solo I began to read differently. Instead of looking at numbers on timepieces like my iphone or reading online weather reports, I always enjoy reading nature's signs.
My daily nature readings were more like waking moments. Like those moments between an AM eye-opening and I AM aware of being awake. Rather than reading a page, I was reading a sky, feeling a wind’s intensity, scanning the horizon, witnessing the waves; sensing the movement of the boat, checking its position relative to where it was when I fell asleep. But these are only the preliminary scans. I am reading myself energy as well as my observations. When thoughts and ideas start to form and an awareness or sequence, order to my doing and being. I scrapped timepieces and based my living on what nature communicated. Nature and my to germinate nature's dictatation starts to direct my activities. I start living in alignment as I become ware of her messages and their meaning. My translation and interpretation of Nature rarely leads me astray as into some foreboding bay. Their meaning often seems so clear to me.
These are forces and their variables often speak to me as I sail:
- Waters - (color, depth, surface conditions, current)
- Waves - (their size, shape, length, direction, mixture)
- Winds - (direction, intensity, fluctuations, forecast)
- Land - (location, distance, shape, protection, safety)
- Tides - (timing, direction, speed, changes, position, force, speed)
- Clouds - (changes, shape, altitude, direction)
- Sun - (intensity, cloud cover, time of day)
- Temperature change - (heat index, change, impact
- Moon - (shape, size, time of month)
I also wrote about timelessness during last summer's solo - Spending Daylight Savings