Make Room for My Bike
A Perfect Present:
- Something totally unexpected yet something wanted.
- Something timely, practical and useful.
- Something cool and fun.
- Something my crew could definitely use and appreciate.
At No Name Harbor on Florida's Key Biscayne, Mystique's Christmas present came in handy in January. After 3 or 4 absurdly wrong guesses about the possible contents of an oddly-shaped package, I, hungrily tore off its wrapping paper befitting any 10-year old boy opening a Xmas present. Moments later I exhaled a few preteen "AWESOMES" and even an elderly "WOW". A minute later I had unzipped a carrying bag, unfolded my gift and rode it around our living room. Lynne had given Mystique, my crew and me an almost-brand-new fold-up boat bike.
As I realized the value of her gift, my not-so-fond recollections of arduous treks lugging heavy loads back to the boat had begun to dissolve. Now easier errands and other ventures seemed possible. Now jaunts to grocery stores, hardware stores, marine supplies and distant post offices all seemed less burdensome with a bike at our boat's disposal.
In many ways, a bike is almost as vital to a cruising boat as a dinghy is. Of course, the quality of a dinghy and its engine make a huge difference. This is true with a bike as well. Some may view a bike as a luxury; I view it more as a valuable asset to a boater.
Why important for boaters?
- becomes shore transportation when no taxis or bus is available
- provides more retrieval and rescue/safety options.
- makes carrying goods or boat supplies easier for longer distances
- fun way to explore more ashore
- folds up into a compact package
- saves time and effort
- provides some retrieval / rescue reassurance
- costs vary so they are affordable
- replaces conventional bike
- some smaller-wheeled bikes take more effort, have fewer gears and move slower
- larger wheels may present storage issues
Resources and Reviews:
- Foldable Bikes
- Folding Bikes Grow Up: PM Tests 3 Collapsible Bicycles
- Everything You Want in a Folding Bike... And Less - Chainless bikes
- Bikes on Board: The Perfect Boating Companion
- Foldable Bike Concepts that Rock the Boat for Conventional Design
- Folding Bikes are Ideal Boat Gear for Transient Boaters
- Fun Things to do with your Folding Bike
- Find a place below deck to store - salt air/water and rain rusts.
- Find or purchase a cover or storage case.
- Keep it covered.
- Find a second one for additional rider