Hello, I'm Henry.  

Welcome aboard my blog's home. 

If you come along with me, you'll become acquainted with my motley mates and faithful crew:

Experiences, Sightings, Observations, Impressions, Ideas, Reflections, Remembrances, Insights and Commentary.

They, after all, have accompanied me for as long as I can recall. Their tenure has helped me turn my tiller, fill my sails, and transport me over seas to distant lands. Maybe if you take the time to get to know them, a few will do the same for you.

Click this way and scroll along if you please...Enjoy your stay.   

Our 4th and Final Gale

Our 4th and Final Gale

Reindeer's 1976 Transatlantic Crossing

June 23-25, 1976

Blog Entry #13

I don’t know who named them swells. There’s nothing swell about them. They should have named them awfuls. 
— Hugo Vihlen
June 23: Winds abated, but still on nose. Sun came out. Saw arctic skua for first time. Also
 immature kittiwake. Wind eases to twenty-five. Broke out reef.

June 24: Wind picks up. Number three genoa is too much; go to number four. Reef main. Terns, pomarine jaegers, all kinds of birds. It rains hard at times, but water is much warmer. Ditto air. Water color changes. Looks like Gulf Stream! Wind again force ten, maybe eleven. Gauge pinned at maximum reading of sixty. Again we furl main. The number four genoa clew pulls out with a loud report. Wind hurricane force.

June 25: Storm abates. Orlin and I go on deck to set sail. We make 080 to 090 magnetic. In the afternoon the engine shuts down for no apparent reason. Orlin and I work two hours on engine and drain filter. Got her started again. Found trouble in fuel line filter and drained it. Wind again piped up, but temperature warmer.
— Reindeer's ship log:
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 4.52.31 PM.png

This last storm did not really feel any different than the last 7 days. In fact, I hardly knew the difference in the four storms. The only variation appeared to be the wind which had subsided 20 knots or so 3 times and then piped up to hurricane force winds and waves 4 times. The waves were perpetual. The crew was so occupied with the daily chores of watch duty, eating and sleeping that we barely realized the roller coaster had any smoother seas and calmer conditions. We had become so acclimated to our situation and surroundings, we were numb by June 23rd.

The warming temps started to give the crew some hope that land would appear soon, hopefully in a formation named Iceland.

Sunk in Denial

Sunk in Denial

A 7-Hour Hove-to

A 7-Hour Hove-to